Lily Lake Summerhaven Association FAQs

Rev. 23-Sep-2023

Click the link to the category of information that interests you. You can also use the Edit - Find (Ctrl F) capability of your browser to search for a keyword, e.g, search for the word curfew to get information about local curfews.

Lake information/ weed control Local attractions Town, county (including county property records) Medical help
Utilities, garbage, phones, street lights Rules, regulations Transportation Rain gardens, erosion control

Back to

Lake information

Is the lake stocked with fish? Not usually. However, in 2006, the DNR released 903 Northern Pike fingerlings into the lake. In 2007, the DNR planned a release of 232 Northern Pike fingerlings. In 2016, the lake was stocked with larger Northern Pike that wouldn't be eaten as soon as they hit the water.

How big is the lake? About 88 acres, 22 ft at its deepest point. Underground springs from Lake Superior feed the lake.

Is it Lily Lake or Lilly Lake? Both. The formal name is Lilly, but road signs are inconsistent. The Association decided to go with Lily for simplicity. Per the Feb 11, 2001 Kenosha News, the lake was named after John Lilly, an early settler. In the 1920s, the lake was home to a Boy Scout camp.

How do I get rid of all these lake weeds? The lake district is undertaking a multi-year project to control Eurasian milfoil and curly leaf. See the Lake Protection & Rehabilitation District page for details.

When did development start here? Although the lake had been used for fishing, swimming, and ice harvesting (for ice boxes), serious development began in the 1930s when summer cottages were built along the north shore.

What are the rules for the lake? Briefly, no motor boating over wake speed before 10 am or after 8 pm or sunset, whichever comes first. Travel in counterclockwise motion. No food, drinks, or dogs on the beach. Speed limit on roads is 25 mph. See Wheatland town rules for more detail.

Are people allowed to walk on my beach? Not exactly. Legally, they must be 1 foot into the water. Because walkers are supposed to be at least 12 inches away from the shore, property owners are supposed to provide 1 foot of clearance between their piers and the shore line. Of course, that is just about impossible to do because the water level of the lake changes continuously (high in spring, low in August).

What are the rules for piers? Laws for piers have changed. New laws are in effect to reduce damage to natural habitats. Piers wider than 6 ft or having more than 2 boat slips need a one-time DNR permit. See


Medical help

In a life-threatening emergency, call 911.

Burlington: Aurora HealthCare operates a hospital (262-767-6000) and a walk-in clinic (262-767-8254) at 248 McHenry Street. Clinic hours are Mon - Thu 8 am to 8 pm, Fri 8 am - 6 pm, Sat 8 am - 4 pm, holidays 9 am - 1 pm.

Paddock Lake: United Hospital Systems operates a walk-in clinic for non-emergency care (minor illnesses and accidents) in Village Plaza. M, Th & F: 8 to 5, Tu 8 to 7, W 9 to 7, Sat 9 to 1. Call 577-8460.

Kenosha: Aurora also operates a walk-in clinic and hospital (with emergency room) at Hwy 50 and 104th St (a mile or so east of I-94, look for the turn-off to Dairyland dog track).

St. Catherine's / United Hospital System provides walk-in care 24 hours/day. Call 262.577.8600. Use the Emergency entrance to get to walk-in care.

Medical Appliances
Love, Inc. at 480 S. Pine St. in Burlington (763-6226) may have the item (e.g., walker or wheelchair) that you need. They give it to you free if you sign a receipt and return it clean when you're done with it.


Local attractions

Are there any local libraries? The main library is in Salem near the intersection of WI 83 and County AH. The Twin Lakes branch is across from the laundromat near the corner of Lake and Main. As members of the tri-county library system, we can also use the Burlington Public Library, 166 E Jefferson St., Burlington - 763.7623. You will need to present a driver's license or some other proof of residency to get a card.

How far away are the major highways? From the intersection of Hwy 50 and County W South:
I-94 is about 15 miles to the east,
Hwy 83 (in Paddock Lake) is about 5 miles to the east,
US 12 (in Lake Geneva) is about 11 miles to the west

What’s there to do around here?

A public hunting ground on the west side of the lake is good for nature walks in summer and cross-country skiing in winter—and of course, hunting in season. You can reach it from several places, e.g.:

The Lily Lake Resort has numerous special events. Call 537-2848 for information.

See Other local events for descriptions of other major events in the area.

If you want to drive somewhere:


Utilities, garbage, phones, street lights

What do I do if there’s a power outage? If you’re sure the outage is not just a single light or appliance in your home, call WE Energies at 1-800-662-4797.
For gas odors, call 1-800-236-9874. WE Energies is our electric and gas provider.

Where do I take my garbage?  All owners and renters are entitled to take garbage to the Wheatland transfer station (old Hwy 50, in back of the Wheatland fire station). The station is open Saturdays 7 am to 3 pm and Wednesdays noon to 5 pm. You MUST have a blue Wheatland sticker to use the transfer station. The stickers are available free at the Wheatland town hall with proof of identity. Also, you must separate recyclables (newspaper, plastic, cans) from other garbage. Recycling is the law in Wisconsin.

If you want private pickup (e.g., from Veolia at 1-800-248-2373 or ASDA of Burlington at 539-2086), you have to arrange and pay for it yourself.

What do I do with toxic substances? Several times each year, there are special collections of hazardous wastes (e.g., pesticides, paint). Call the Town Hall (537-4340) for collection dates and places.

What is the local telephone company? TDS Telecom 539-2115 or 800-982-2769

How do I report a malfunctioning street light? Call the Wheatland Town Hall at 537-4340 and provide the pole location, description of the problem, and your phone number in case of questions. The Town will contact WE Energies.


Town, county

What town are we in? Wheatland. On any forms that ask for township, put "Wheatland" because it affects funding for the area.

What county are we in? Kenosha

Why do we have Burlington addresses and ZIP codes? Because the Burlington Post Office delivers our mail. Note that Burlington is in Racine county.

Where is the town hall? On old Hwy 50 (Geneva Rd) in the same building as the Post Office (opposite the church)

How do I get to old Hwy 50/Geneva Rd? Take Hwy 50 west to the stop light at 50 and 83 North. Turn left.

Who are the Town Board members?

When do I need a building permit? You need a building permit for just about everything.

Who handles fires? Volunteer fire departments in Wheatland and the surrounding communities.

Where is the closest tornado shelter? The Town does not have a tornado shelter.

When are property taxes due? You can pay the whole bill or half the bill in person at the Town Hall, or you can mail your payment(s). Due dates are January 31 and July 31.

What school districts do we belong to? Wheatland Center Grade School (take old Hwy 50 to County O; turn left on O and go ½ mile; school is on your right).

Wilmot High School (about 2 blocks west of County W in downtown Wilmot).

What public transportation is available? Other than school buses for children and facilities for the elderly, you’re on your own. However, there are some good links to the public network nearby:

How do I find the assessments and taxes for the properties in this area?

Kenosha County maintains property records online. To use this feature, you must have either the address or the property number of the property that you want to query. If you have the property address, the steps are:

  1. Go to
  2. On the right side of the screen, click the Property Inquiry link.
  3. Click Continue (at bottom of screen) to get past the policy statement.
  4. On the Property Inquiry screen, type in the address. Street should be the default selection. If you're looking for an Ave or Rd, make the appropriate selection.
  5. Click the Search button.
  6. In the displayed list, click the underlined property number.
    Result: The statistics about that property appear. Scroll down to see all the information available. You can click Show Parcel to see a (poor quality) aerial map.


Rules, regulations

Is there a curfew for young people (under 18)? Yes, it’s 10:30 pm to 5 am Sunday through Thursday, midnight to 5 am Friday and Saturday and the day preceding a holiday. Exception: Youth returning from school, church, civic organization functions or work as long as they take the shortest and most direct route home and as fast as reasonably possible under the circumstances. The beach is off limits after sundown. Fines vary depending on where you're caught. In general, they run $98 to $148 for the first offense.

Where can I get information about local rules? The town hall. Free booklets offer information on lots of topics. Also, Sheila Siegler, the Town Clerk, is a walking encyclopedia of local knowledge. Call 537-4340

What are the rules for pets? Dogs must be vaccinated, licensed, and leashed or under the owner's control at all times. Dogs are not allowed on the beach. There is a yearly charge for dogs (on tax bill). Call the Town Hall (537-4340) for details or information about non-standard pets.

Topor Back to Home


Is there any sort of public transportation around here? The Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) Volunteer Escort service takes needy seniors to appointments in the area. Cost depends on the distance driven. Make appointments 5 days in advance by calling 262.842.7433.

The Western Kenosha County Transit system runs minibuses to various shopping and medical stops. See for details. Become a Transit Ambassador (and get some free rides). See for details.

Topor Back to Home

Rain gardens, erosion control

How do I protect my beach area from erosion and from lawn fertilizer? The Association thanks Valerie Hotzfeld for researching the following information:

Do you have a wet spot in your yard that you've been trying to contend with? Do you have problems with water runoff? Instead of trying to drain the water off your property, take advantage of it by creating a rain garden.

Why build a rain garden? Rain gardens not only provide visual interest to your yard, but can help our lake. They are small vegetated depressions that promote infiltration of stormwater runoff from your roof, driveway and lawn. Some are even designed to capture runoff from the street. Rain gardens help keep things like fertilizer, loose soil and grass clippings stay in your yard and out of the lake, where they can add unacceptably high levels of nutrients to the water, increase the stream turbidity or deplete oxygen as the stuff rots.
Where do I start? Rain gardens are designed with a depression to hold water after rain storms and a shallow swale to route storm water from roofs and driveways to the garden. Plants are selected to be tolerant of large water volumes, and to aid in infiltration and pollutant capture. Use the links below for design information and listings of native plants that will thrive in our environment.
Also see:

Topor Back to Home

Copyright © 2013 Lily Lake Summerhaven Association. All rights reserved.
Lilly Lake (Wisconsin)